Thursday, March 26, 2015

Blog 5: A Reflection

        After seeing everyone's TED Talks, I am amazed at how far everyone has come. We all had something amazing to show for our efforts, and that really goes to show how intrinsic motivation pushes us the most. While I'm sad that this project is over, I'm also excited. This may seem strange - why am I am excited when the fun part is over? The way I see it, this project was just an introduction into the world of photography that lies ahead of me. I've always liked pictures, but I've never set aside time to actually learn about the camera and focus of perfecting my craft. Now that I have, there's nothing that can stop me from following my passion. 
        
        I can definitely say that I will be continuing to pursue photography. I have already researching different cameras to buy for myself. I liked the camera I used for this project, but I'm looking for something a little more compact, but with a good quality lens. Basically in between a DSLR camera and small portable camera. I want to be practical, but I also feel like I have more advanced photography skills than the average person (I would hope so - I just spent 6 weeks learning about it). These types of cameras are still pretty expensive, but I think it is a good investment for me because it is a hobby I really enjoy.

        So, in terms of my TED Talk, I am happy with my presentation. I was really excited to share my pictures with the class, and I hope everyone liked them. The message I tried to portray, which was to get a strong foundation, really applied to my whole experience with photography. In the beginning, I attempted to take pictures without learning anything about my camera or photography in general. I went in completely blind, and that was a big mistake. I'm not the type of person who likes to read directions - I usually like to try to figure things out on my own. But this project taught me the importance of foundation. I learned that I would get so much more out of my experience if I just learned how to work my camera. 
        I think my TED Talk went well, but there is always room for improvement. I could be criticizing myself for how quietly I spoke or how much I looked at my notecards, but I think this project was really about finding your passion, and being able to display your passion to the audience. So, while I didn't give the best presentation I've ever given, I'm just happy that I could share my work. 

        I am really glad that I chose photography for my genius project. I don't know if I've said it enough, but I'm really not an artsy person. When we measured our right/left brain-ness, I was one of the people on the far right. With photography, I was really stepping outside of my comfort zone. But I'm glad I did. I discovered a whole new side of me that I never knew existed. Maybe I am a little artsy after all. 

 As an ode to this project, please enjoy this picture of me striking a pose in front of this door. 

Good luck to anyone who decides to continue to pursue their topic. Who knows - maybe I will continue to post my photos....

1 comment:

  1. Ellie, I loved your project! You had this sort of beginning and after element in the presentation, and we really got to see your progress as a photographer. I was also incredibly impressed by the quality of your pictures. I'm not photography critique, but some of your pictures were absolutely stunning. I look froward to seeing some possible photos in the future!

    ReplyDelete