Thursday, March 5, 2015

Blog 3.5: Life in the Studio

      Quick Update!

        I just completed an amazing unit of still life photography! I'll be honest - this type of photography was much more difficult than nature pictures. Outside, the light comes naturally, so all I had to do was adjust my settings to best capture the light. When working inside, I had to seek out the best lighting options for my photos. In addition to that, I had to create my own composition. In nature, everything is just there. But with still life, the photographer has to seek out and create their own scene. So while it required much more thinking on my part, that's what made me enjoy it even more. With still life, I have so much more power over my pictures. I control the lighting and how everything looks. Nature is just there, but still life is your own.
        Still life is also more time consuming. I could set up my picture in a way that I thought was good, take the picture, and see that it was too dark. I would adjust the settings, but then it's too bright. So then I adjust it so it's just right, but then it's out of focus, so I had to move around the items in the picture. I would go on like this until I had 50 pictures of the same apple. But in the end, it was definitely worth it, because a lot of the pictures turned out to be really cool. Here are some of my favorites.


        Speaking of apples, these ones were an amazingly vibrant red, and I just had to take a picture. I set them up right in front of a big window, so that the light would really show off their color. I put a white cloth underneath them to reflect the light, but also so that the background wasn't distracting.

        These next two are some of my favorites. I really wanted to take a picture with the flame, but every shot I took was too blurry or had a weird lighting. So, I took a step back, and focused on the matches. It was definitely a struggle to get my camera to focus on the matches wince I got really close to them. But, I was patient, and snapped these two:

        I like the first one because the matches are front and center, but I also like the second one because you can see the candle and all of its layers. 

        I really like the lighting on this next one. I put these nesting dolls in front of a window, which I think makes the picture nice and bright. I also like the reflection they create on the wood table. I wanted to get the picture from the side to capture the sizes of the dolls, but when I did that, my entire kitchen was in the background. My kitchen table has extensions to make it longer, So I stood one up on the table to create a wooden background. It was like a little studio. the wood also created a dark side of the photo, which contrasts nicely with the side that's facing the window

My own studio


        I had a really good time photographing these vases. I love the texture and the reflecty-ness. The only problem I have with the picture is the background. It's not super distracting, but I'm not crazy about it. Who knows, artists seem to find beauty in everything, so maybe somehow it "tells a story". (Bonus points if you can find me in the reflection). 
Remember how I said I liked the reflecty-ness? Well... here's a (fab) selfie. 




So this was supposed to be a quick little update... but whatever. I can't believe there's less than two weeks left for this project. I'm glad to say that I feel like I have made some major improvements. On to portraits!

P.S. @efaphotography... you know what to do






3 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the apples! I can understand why still life is challenging, but I would also probably prefer it to nature. Being the control freak I am, I would much rather be in total control of lighting, composition, etc. I really liked seeing how you created a set-up with the backgrounds. It shows that you put some thought into each photograph, rather than just taking a shot of whatever looked nice. Also - what a FAB selfie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A FAB-ulous selfie indeed! After looking at your other posts as well, I 'd like to say that I think you're doing a really good job living up to your blog title - Worth a Thousand Words. The simplicity of the photos - and the feelings you get but can't quite describe from just looking at them - is pretty incredible. Keep up the great work - can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love each of your photos, you bring a really unique perspective to the table with each one, and it is incredible to look at how much your pictures have improved! I also love the fact that you have an instagram account for this project, for a couple reasons. First of all, it is a great way to get your photography "out there," and it is so cool to be able to scroll through and be able to literally see your progress. One suggestion would be to make sure you include as many of these wonderful photos into your TED talk! Like I'm sure you know, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a good one can be really captivating. I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete